Logo personnalisable sur demande In Memory of the video game Lost Posts
Laboratoire d'Idées Vidéoludique

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Grind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Memory of the video game Lost Posts Forum Index >>> Choose the difficulty >>> Normal level
Previous topic :: Next topic  
rabesandratan
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb - 17:09 (2011)    Post subject: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Grind Reply with quote

Kamruz Mos wrote:
The level of padding and grind in the average JRPG amounts to about 80-100 hours of gameplay on average. Wither or not you feel that amount of investment returns a worthwhile experience is an entirely subjective issue.

Personally I felt JRPG's and their much more manageable 30-40 hour length were a much more sane proposition from mid 80's to about the mid 90's. This for the simple reason that the sort of engaging and lengthy experience they provided were unique among the decidedly shorter mostly linear and shallow action/platform games otherwise populating 8 and 16 bit machines of the time.

But in this era of games players are being offered very deep, vivid and intense experiences, both in terms of narrative and gameplay in a very manageable 10 hour portion. In that regard the body formed of all other genres has surpassed JRPG's in terms of worthwhile output and so today it is the JRPG that is giving the poorest, most throwaway output for time input when compared to almost all other types of games. In light of that I find the proposition of a 100 hour game that plays almost exactly like a title from 15 years ago to be almost laughable.

There are still players who feel the investment of time is worth what they get, but for the most part the zeitgeist would beg to differ. There are a lot more titles today vying for player's time and attention and since the average age of players has gone up and the older players are not spoiled for spare time to dedicate to gaming the padding, lengthy unfocused exposition and grind mechanic of this genre has grown to be an obnoxiously obsolete part of most of the games that it spawns.

Personally when given the choice of investing 100 hours into one title whose experience once divided by the total time required cannot hope to be anything but below average or instead spend that time playing 8 or so very good shorter titles I know where my sentiments will fall.

Publicité

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb - 17:09 (2011)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Memory of the video game Lost Posts Forum Index >>> Choose the difficulty >>> Normal level All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation