Logo personnalisable sur demande In Memory of the video game Lost Posts
Laboratoire d'Idées Vidéoludique

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zynga's Tian: Games Are Craft, Not Art

Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Memory of the video game Lost Posts Forum Index >>> Choose the difficulty >>> Normal level
Previous topic :: Next topic  
rabesandratan
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb - 12:03 (2011)    Post subject: Zynga's Tian: Games Are Craft, Not Art Reply with quote

Bill Boggess wrote:
The vast majority of art, including those works now classified as “high art”, generally began as consumer products of some sort. Shakespeare’s plays were the equivalent of today’s films and movies; Charles Dickens was paid by the word (which explains his often meandering and laborious prose); Renaissance painters and sculptors were often hired or sponsored to create their works. The aspiration of all artists is to make a living at their chosen medium, so I would argue that nearly all art - in one form or another- is a consumer product. The only logical way to eschew that particular label is to not charge anything for your work.

I do think people have become far too hung up on the word art, which really is a broad and abstract term that can be applied to a very wide array of endeavors. Art is the process, art is the product, and art is the response to that finished product. It is an entirely subjective term and the subsequent ideologies used to gauge what art is are varied and impossible to reconcile into any one cohesive, accepted construct.

The funny thing is that I’m not a game designer but rather a connoisseur and enthusiast of this medium and I think developers are constantly selling themselves short. Whether or not you consider yourself a craftsman or an artist, (a fine line to begin with) there is no doubt that the artistic flourishes are rife and apparent within most games. It really is a spectacular and unique medium and the concepts you people execute, the worlds you build and the experiences you forge are worthy of the same respect and consideration given to contemporary films and literature.

And this is coming from a novelist with a strong background in academics and literary deconstruction.

Publicité

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb - 12:03 (2011)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Memory of the video game Lost Posts Forum Index >>> Choose the difficulty >>> Normal level All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation