Logo personnalisable sur demande In Memory of the video game Lost Posts
Laboratoire d'Idées Vidéoludique

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Beautifully Dark Side of Videogames

Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Memory of the video game Lost Posts Forum Index >>> Choose the difficulty >>> Normal level
Previous topic :: Next topic  
rabesandratan
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 3 Apr - 09:59 (2011)    Post subject: The Beautifully Dark Side of Videogames Reply with quote

Ben Pitseleh wrote:
I think that is an interesting statement, that video games inadvertently acknowledge sin and confront us to wrestle with it. I would agree. In the end I come to the same conclusion, I am not a good man.
What I question about myself is the games I choose to play. There are plenty of games out there, and while I currently play Ratchet and Clank, I also am playing Call of Duty. Is one better than the other? Is one inherently bad? No. But I illustrate that my gaming tastes are wide, so I can find enjoyment in a large facet of games, but then turn around and choose some that have some have some questionable actions or choices. For instance, I highly enjoyed the God of War series. I think they are fantastic games. Highly entertaining. But the entire premise is a little lacking on the noble side. Even ignoring that though, there are constantly actions I was confronted with while playing. In every iteration of the game, there are sex scenes where you can choose to have intercourse with women (though for the record I know that the action is all off screen). I choose not to, and the end result is I don’t get some extra orbs or get to platinum GOW3 because of it. I’m good with that. But why would I want to play a game that subjects me to make that decision at all? Or in the first game, the protagonist Kratos must sacrifice a human to open a door and continue. You have to do it to proceed in the game. I did it. It felt weird to say the least. I don’t want to do that again, but I did it. Almost without question because I had to in order to move on. Why should I put myself in that position? It is ridiculous. And yet, when the next game comes out I will consider purchasing it, and most likely will.
In a way it is “just a game” and I acknowledge the rights and wrongs just as everything else in this fallen world. On the other, I am choosing entertainment that is steeped in sin in many ways. No, the games aren’t sin, but many facets of what comes out of me when I play are. It does make very clear how much I am in need of God’s grace.

Richard Clark wrote:
Yeah, it’s a fine line between a game that allows us to explore those aspects of our humanity and a game that just wants to unthinkingly glorify them or revel in them. As far as God of War goes, that’s a game I put in the latter category myself, though it really is right there on the line. Plus, it’s really a personal decision as to what makes sense to play, and what doesn’t. As for why we should do sinful things in-game, I think it CAN be an illuminating experience, assuming we’re able to move past the issue itself and start thinking about the subject matter at hand in the game.

Publicité

PostPosted: Sun 3 Apr - 09:59 (2011)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Memory of the video game Lost Posts Forum Index >>> Choose the difficulty >>> Normal level All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation